January is National Poverty in America Awareness Month
By America's Charities on January 22, 2021
Hunger and malnutrition, limited access to education and other basic services, social discrimination and exclusion, disabilities, restricted access to participation in the democratic process. These are just some of the many manifestations of poverty. More than 40 million Americans live in poverty, but we can eradicate poverty. As Nelson Mandela said, "Like slavery and apartheid, poverty is not natural. It is man-made and it can be overcome and eradicated by the action of human beings."
While poverty is a complex social issue, you can make a significant difference through workplace giving. Don't have a program? Click here to have your employer contact our team about bring employee giving to your workplace. Each of the nonprofits listed below, vetted by America's Charities, are dedicated to helping the impoverished through programs and services concentrated on addressing the root sources of poverty and working to create sound policy frameworks locally and nationally that will help lift our fellow neighbors, family members, and friends out of poverty so they can live independent, sustainable lives and contribute to the community.
In recognition of National Poverty in America Awareness Month, which takes place in January each year, join us by supporting and raising awareness about these nonprofits who are making a difference in the fight to stamp out poverty for good.
Provide food and support through community coordination:
- Connecticut Food Bank
- Feeding America
- Food for Others, Inc.
- Meals on Wheels America
- Share Our Strength (No Kid Hungry)
Provide food, shelter, counseling and support:
Support for individuals and families struggling with poverty:
- A Wider Circle
- Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Arlington, Inc.
- Christian Appalachian Project
- Lions Club International Foundation
- Lorton Community Action Center
- Operation Warm
- The Shepherd's Table
Provide affordable housing and support:
- Good Shepherd Housing
- Habitat for Humanity of DC, Inc.
- Habitat for Humanity of Northern Virginia, Inc.
- Rebuilding Together Alexandria
- Rebuilding Together Montgomery County
Fight for Economic Justice and Equality:
Provide Access to Education and Support Disadvantaged Youth:
- 'I Have A Dream' Foundation®
- Latino Youth Arts Education Fund - (LULAC National Educational Service Centers, Inc.)
- TGR Foundation (A Tiger Woods Foundation)
- Thurgood Marshall College Fund (TMCF)
- Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgender Scholarship Fund - Point Foundation
- Generation Hope
- 100 Black Men of America
- The Child & Family Network Centers (CFNC)
- The Sesame Street Yellow Feather Fund
- Teach for America