$20 helps Rails-to-Trails Conservancy advocate our platform that Trails Transform America to federal policymakers. We know that trails provide the safety that all Americans need. It is time for a transformational investment in active transportation infrastructure.
The mission of Rails-to-Trails Conservancy (RTC) is to create a nationwide network of trails from former rail lines and connecting corridors to build healthier places for healthier people. For 30 years, RTC has been the leader in the national rail-trail movement and is the voice of more than 160,000 members and supporters. RTC has helped develop more than 1,600 pathways, transforming more than 30,000 miles of former rail corridors into beautiful paths for walking, biking, riding, and other outdoor activities. RTC partners with thousands of community organizations, trail groups, and local governments to create a nationwide network of trails - one community at a time.
Headquartered in Washington, DC, with regional offices in California, Florida, Ohio and Pennsylvania, RTC connects, builds, promotes and protects rail-trails and champions their far reaching benefits. Rail-trails encourage healthier, more mobile lifestyles by providing safe places to walk, bike and be active. They stimulate healthier economies by promoting tourism and local businesses, and increasing property values. They support a healthier environment by making active transportation a viable transportation alternative. They contribute to healthier, more vibrant communities, connecting people of all ages and abilities to the places where they live, work and play. RTC provides a range of services and products that help transform the dream of a trail into a community asset:
- Trail Projects - We help communities meet the dynamic challenges of trail development for the creation of successful multi-use pathways.
- Trail Building Services - We work with communities large and small to ensure the creation of valuable-and valued-public assets.
- Policy Work - We steadfastly advocate for state and federal policies and funding programs that make trail development and walking/biking infrastructure possible.
- Trail Promotion - Recognizing and highlighting excellent trails-and the people who make them possible-is part of our daily work.
- Partnerships - We collaborate with a diverse range of partners to make vibrant trails and regional trail networks a reality.
- Legal Program - The nation's foremost nonprofit advocate for rail-trails, we continuously work to create and protect the legal structures that make them possible.
- Research and Information - RTC leads the implementation of cutting-edge research exploring the impact of trail use and walking/biking infrastructure.
- Trail Mapping and GIS - To date, we've mapped more than 25,000 miles of trails and trail amenities through our national Geographic Information system (GIS).
- Building Communities - Our commitment to supporting local communities is driven by the knowledge that trails have the power to change and impact lives.