The cost, to US taxpayers, of not preventing abuse and neglect is approximately $80 billion a year.
Prevent Child Abuse America
Prevent Child Abuse America was founded in 1972. It is the oldest organization in the United States with the sole mission "to prevent the abuse and neglect of our nation's children."
Based in Chicago, it has chapters in 50 states. Together, the National Office and state chapters manage more than 350 different locally-based prevention strategies. These strategies include crisis nurseries, training conferences for prevention professionals, home visitation services, parent support groups, public awareness and advocacy.
Prevent Child Abuse America's signature program, Healthy Families America is designed to help expectant and new parents get their children off to a healthy start. Families participate voluntarily in the program and receive home visiting and referrals from trained staff. At over 600 sites in 41 states, Canada and all 5 U.S. Territories, Healthy Families America promotes positive parenting, enhances child health and development, and prevents child abuse and neglect.
Prevent Child Abuse America develops its research, public policy positions, services and messaging based upon the following facts:
- Child abuse and neglect is preventable;
- Research tells us how to prevent it and what works;
- The cost, to US taxpayers, of not preventing abuse and neglect is approximately $80 billion a year;
- The Brookings Institute identifies investment in home visitation services (like Healthy Families America) as one of the four investments that should be made to reduce our national budget deficit; and,
- Whereas 90% of the public views child abuse and neglect as a national issue, abuse and neglect will not be eliminated until each of us becomes engaged in solutions and places action behind our statements.
You Can Help!
- Learn More: You can learn more about what's happening in your community and throughout our network of 50 chapters, each dedicated to a new way of thinking about prevention strategies, advocacy and family support. You can also learn more about the direct services, delivered by Healthy Families America, to newborns and their families in more than 400 communities across the United States, Canada and all 5 US Territories.
- Lend Your Voice: You can help us deliver the message of healthy child development and the prevention of child abuse and neglect to communities everywhere through campaigns like Pinwheels for Prevention.
- Volunteer: You can provide leadership in your community by volunteering at the chapter in your state.
- Donate: You can share your time, your skills and your funds in a variety of ways.