In programs supported by Orbis in 2013, we enhanced the skills of more than 22,000 eye care professionals, and provided treatment to more than 5.7 million blind and visually impaired people.
Orbis is a nonprofit organization that works to prevent and treat blindness through hands-on training, public health education, improved access to quality eye care, advocacy and partnerships with local health care organizations.
How We Work:
Through training, research, and advocacy, we work to strengthen local eye care institutions, train eye care professionals and advocate for supportive policies to increase awareness about the importance of quality eye health. In programs supported by Orbis in 2013, we enhanced the skills of more than 22,000 eye care professionals and provided treatment to more than 5.7 million blind and visually impaired people.
Imagine the world around you in darkness. For millions of people this darkness is a reality. Blindness takes away so much more than vision. It can impede your ability to gain an education. It can prevent you from finding employment. It can lead you and your family into a life of poverty.
285 million people worldwide are visually impaired. But they don't need to be. That's why Orbis works on the prevention and treatment of the causes of avoidable blindness.
- VISION EMPOWERS: Access to quality eye care is one of the most effective and cost-efficient paths for reversing the cycle of poverty. Preventing and treating visual impairment empowers individuals. It allows them to become more active in their community and to contribute more to their family and their society.
- VISION IS A CATALYST: Improved vision sparks a powerful ripple effect, spreading positive benefits from one person to her family, from one eye care professional to an entire hospital, and from one neighborhood to a community transformation.
- VISION IS WITHIN REACH: We look to a future where communities around the world have sustainable eye care infrastructure and trained eye care professionals - and we know that together we can make this vision a reality.
WE CHANGE LIVES
ONE EYE CARE PROFESSIONAL TRAINED TODAY MEANS...
- More people get access to quality eye care.
- More people can attain a job or get an education.
- More children return to school.
- More families can make a larger contribution to their community.
- These effects radiate outward creating a healthier, brighter tomorrow for all.